[Yum] Re: Suggestion for yum's rpm

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Thu Jun 26 14:27:11 UTC 2003

Since this is being discussed, I'll just throw in what we do here at Fermilab,
because maybe it is about time for this to happen with the main distro.
We have two seperate rpm's.  One for the 'binaries' and one for the config
files.  That way when we do have bug fixes, (not that there are any bugs in
yum, only features waiting to be noticed) our users only have to upgrade their
yum, and they know that we won't even attempt to mess with their config files.

So we have yum and yum-conf, I'll just show you our %files section on both to
show you our config file settings.

yum
%files -f %{name}.lang
%defattr(-, root, root)
%doc README AUTHORS COPYING TODO INSTALL
%{_datadir}/yum/*
%{_bindir}/yum
%{_bindir}/yum-arch
/var/cache/yum
%{_mandir}/man*/*

yum-conf
%files
%defattr(-, root, root)
%dir %{_sysconfdir}/yum.d/
%config %{_sysconfdir}/yum.conf
%config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/cron.daily/yum.cron
%config(noreplace) %{_sysconfdir}/yum.d/yum.cron.excludes
%config %{_sysconfdir}/init.d/yum
%config %{_sysconfdir}/logrotate.d/yum
%{_sysconfdir}/yum.conf.template
%{_sysconfdir}/yum.d/