[Yum] Re: Suggestion for yum's rpm

Carlos Villegas villegas at math.gatech.edu
Wed Jun 25 20:57:43 UTC 2003

> <My 2c>
> As a sysadmin - packages wihtout (noreplace) are real pain in the butt, as
> after update your machine goes out, unless you do manual changes etc. (config
> file structure as a rule chenges less frequently than package itself).
> </My 2c>

Just expanding on this; cronjobs are in a way a configuration file, people will
always tweak them for their particular needs (add a new option, change an option,
make it smarter...). A look at the archives will show that this happens.

So once you have it working the way you want it, you don't want an update
to change it for you, and potentially break something badly (in our case
we don't want automatic updates, but we do want a daily "update report").

I don't know if this is the case as well, but it might be: If you do something
like

	/sbin/chkconfig --level 123456 yum off

an update shouldn't reenable the service for the same reasons as above. That's
part of the configuration, and changes to that should only be made by a human
who understands (theoretically) what the implications of the changes are).

Carlos