[Yum] Re: yum] daily release for 2.0 branch

Chris Chabot chabotc at 4-ice.com
Wed Jun 25 03:45:31 UTC 2003

Well i was refering to compatibility with things like up2date, rpm dist
included tools, etc.. Would seem like a waste of time and effort to go
out and convince the world to change their standards because 'we want
them to'

Also gzip might be nice for network transfer time, but for local
processing it only adds overhead plus it would rule out future
posibilities of janking a header straight out from a regular rpm file,
instead of having .hdr files for local repositories.

All in all, i see a lot off disadvantages for choosing to go gzip
compressed files _only_ and abandoning standards, interoperability, etc.

Sure, it's posible to zcat, but _why_ ?