[Yum] Re: Suggestion for yum-arch

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 20 16:36:13 UTC 2003

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 06:23:11PM +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've made it to the yum list at last :-)
> As a very first thing, I got an email from Pieter to this list forwarded to
> me earlier today about a corrupt header.info file on ayo.freshrpms.net...
> I've checked and all seems fine.
>
> Next, to my excuse for subscribing to the list, a question : When I execute
> yum-arch after a few files have changed in the RPMS directory, it erases
> all old header files and writes new ones. As I then rsync everything to
> many locations, it needs to sync the timestamp of all files, and creates
> very long listings of actually unchanged files.

Have a look at this thread:
https://lists.linux.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2003-April/001082.html

> So my suggestion would be for yum-arch to have another mode of operation
> and try and be more "clever" and only delete obsolete headers and add new
> ones, without touching the existing ones, after possibly checking that they
> would indeed be identical.
> Would that be at all considered? I guess it would be (a bit) more
> "expensive", maybe not much, but it would make a difference for me ;-)

I think the best solution would be to have the *.hdr inherit the file
and gzip timestamp of the parent file. In that case the generated hdr
file will always be considered the same by rsync or web caches (same
date, same size).

I am currently using the null_gzip_ts.py script found in the above
thread and something like 'diff new old || mv -f new old' to
effectively get something similar.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de