[Yum] Suggestion for yum-arch

Matthias Saou matthias at rpmforge.net
Fri Jun 20 16:23:11 UTC 2003

Hi,

I've made it to the yum list at last :-)
As a very first thing, I got an email from Pieter to this list forwarded to
me earlier today about a corrupt header.info file on ayo.freshrpms.net...
I've checked and all seems fine.

Next, to my excuse for subscribing to the list, a question : When I execute
yum-arch after a few files have changed in the RPMS directory, it erases
all old header files and writes new ones. As I then rsync everything to
many locations, it needs to sync the timestamp of all files, and creates
very long listings of actually unchanged files.
So my suggestion would be for yum-arch to have another mode of operation
and try and be more "clever" and only delete obsolete headers and add new
ones, without touching the existing ones, after possibly checking that they
would indeed be identical.
Would that be at all considered? I guess it would be (a bit) more
"expensive", maybe not much, but it would make a difference for me ;-)

Matthias

Raw Hide 20030619 running Linux kernel 2.4.20-20.1.2013.nptl
Load : 0.13 0.20 0.19