[Yum] Yum on Suse 8.2 server

Kevin Brouelette kevin1a at socal.rr.com
Sat Jun 14 04:48:13 UTC 2003

Hello,

I have been smoothly running a Yum server on RH 7.3 for a few months and
now have a need to change over to a Suse 8.2 server.  The 7.3 server is
gone and
I  want to use its ftp server and yum  to update my RH client pc's.
Intalling yum-1.0.1.tar.gz went fine but when I use yum-arch, I get
errors.On Suse 8.2 Python is version python-2.2.2-92  -but- to my
surprise RPM is only version 3.x

bookpc:/srv/ftp/pub/8.0 # rpm -qa | grep rpm
rpm-3.0.6-478

When I run yum-arch I get this message:

bookpc:/srv/ftp/pub/8.0 # yum-arch .
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum-arch", line 22, in ?
    import pullheaders
  File "pullheaders.py", line 24, in ?
ImportError: No module named rpm

First of all I can't understand why Suse uses version 3 of rpm but that
is a whole other discussion.  My question is can I use yum on this
machine?  Do I have to upgrade RPM to 4? Can I use a diff version of
yum?

Thanks and great work on yum

Kevin B