[Yum] update failure

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Jun 6 11:05:18 UTC 2003

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 03:33, stephan.helas at e-7.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> got some error message by updating last kernel.
> is only for information:
> i use soft raid for amanda holding disk (level linear raid)
>

> ---------- snip ----------------------
> Gathering package information from servers
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 base
> Getting headers from: Redh Hat d|a Fractales Updates
> Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 7.3 updates
> Finding updated packages
> Downloading needed headers
> Resolving dependencies
> Dependencies resolved
> I will do the following:
> [install: kernel-smp.i686]
> [update: quota.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Getting kernel-smp-2.4.20-18.7.i686.rpm
> Getting quota-3.06-9.7.i386.rpm
> Calculating available disk space - this could take a bit
> kernel-smp 100 % done
> raid level -1 (in /etc/raidtab) not recognized
> quota 100 % done
> Kernel Updated/Installed, checking for bootloader
> Lilo found - adding kernel to lilo and making it the default
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "/usr/sbin/yum", line 44, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 241, in main
>   File "pkgaction.py", line 317, in kernelupdate
>   File "up2datetheft.py", line 13, in install_lilo
>   File "lilocfg.py", line 371, in installNewImages
> lilocfg.LiloConfError: Error installing lilo.conf  The message was:
> test install of lilo failed
> [root at gt1webdev1 /]# rpm -qa |grep kernel
> kernel-smp-2.4.18-27.7.x
> kernel-smp-2.4.20-18.7

so two things.

1. the last 2 lines of the traceback are what matters.
  - you have a lilo.conf that has errors in it - BEFORE yum edited it.
  - run lilo -t on your system and see if it complains - I bet it will
2. you're not using yum 1.0.1 are you? - 1.0.1 catches that error more
gracefully iirc.

thanks