[Yum] More suggestions...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jun 5 19:34:59 UTC 2003

> At Duke, we do indeed build and distribute a yum rpm inside each of the
> distributions we locally build and support for duke-only distribution
> (a private campus-only server, not the mirror or public dulug ftp
> sites).  This rpm is preconfigured to update, via cron, from the right
> server (the one it installed from) and the right path (the one it
> installed from) on the right schedule (during the time frame selected as
> suitable for a nightly update, shuffled (to prevent server overload
> during that interval).

> That way anyone who installs from those servers can be a complete novice
> without the faintest clue about what yum is or does, and their system
> will STILL automagically update itself every night unless/until the
> system's owner becomes smart enough (and stupid enough:-) to stop it.
> This makes the campus security officer happy -- well, happier, at any
> rate -- and requires NO CENTRALIZED PRIVILEGES on the owner's system.

yes - but this doesn't make sense for the general release of the
software.

it makes sense for customized site-wide distributions of yum.
like duke's release is.

> I think that he would hurt anybody who suggested that he be given that
> kind of control -- and responsibility.  I personally am not worried, as
> by now he's probably going to hurt me anyway.  But that is why I was
> suggesting that in many/most cases someone setting up a yum repository
> will want to rebuild the yum rpm -- it's just an easy way to arrange it
> so that the people who install from that repository automagically will
> yum update from it as well, in a locally controlled manner.

but if you build from the src.rpm it's easier anyway.

I'll even add commented out stubs to the spec file to let you include
your custom config file trivially.

just copy yum-local.conf to SOURCES/ then uncomment one line in %install
and one Source line

how's that?

trivial.