[Yum] Re: yum] More suggestions...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jun 5 19:32:20 UTC 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-05 at 13:13, Wayne Pearson wrote:
> || From R P Herrold:
> ||  I have now RFE'd, addingo to /etc/yum.conf as shipped:
> ||      exclude = kernel kernel-smp kernel-bigmem kernel-BOOT
>
> I, too, add
> 	exclude = kernel*

So I'm confused.

I thought the whole point of having a config file was so  people could
change the configuration of the program on their own.

what the justification for kernels being exlcuded?

kernels are handled correctly by yum. I've checked it countless times.
Even if your lilo.conf/grub.conf is screwed up it will still update
correctly and it NEVER updates kernels it just installs new ones.

so what is the point of excluding kernels?

Additionally, if you're distributing yum to a group of your own machines
and you want to have a custom yum.conf out of the box in the rpm it's
trivial to rebuild yum from the src.rpm to include your own config file.

why not do that?