[Yum] FreshRpm rsync enabled?

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jun 5 14:23:57 UTC 2003

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003, Theresa Chen wrote:

> Is Freshrpm rsync enabled?  If so, what module should I type into the
> command line in order to get the packages from there?
>
> rsync -avH ayo.freshrpms.net::<MODULE?>/redhat/9/i386/freshrpms/RPMS/ .

By strange chance, I'm currently documenting setting up a "first yum
repository" in the HOWTO sources, and was just preparing to ask whether
the general consensus for setting up a new repository was to use rsync
of an original repository or mirror of a repository (that may or may not
use yum already), wget of same (arguably requires less permissions) or
something else.

I'd also love to include specific examples of command invocations for
creating a repository in these various ways, plus automating nightly
cron update scripts one might use to keep one's local repository sync'd
and up to date with the master, plus any other wisdom the list might
care to offer here.

For example, is it the consensus that best practice is to start with
[base] repository that is a straight e.g. RHL mirror up to date within a
day or two with RH's master images plus an [updates] repository where
the updates are separated out and separately provided plus...?

BTW, I'm not being obtuse about referring to the HOWTO a lot over the
last couple of days without a URL -- it is just that it is still in SUCH
a state of flux that it isn't even ready for comments.  However, anybody
who wants to look at it and comment anyway (probably privately back to
me and not to the list, at least not yet) is welcome to do so.  The
pre-alpha-likely-to-change-on-a-timescale-of-minutes link is:

  http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/General/yum_HOWTO.php

(which is the abstract page with a link to the actual howto one level
down).

I'll indicate in the HOWTO abstract on this page when I think that it is
"really" open for comments; at the moment I'm only really soliciting
comments from Seth and Michael or other really active developers.  I
don't even have the section layout and topics to be covered fully sorted
out at this point, so criticizing it TOO much would be like shooting
ducklings in a barrel.  However, the first couple or three sections are
"semi-finished" and perhaps worth a read.

I'm also perfectly open (in the best open source tradition) to grafting
in sections written by other volunteers, should anyone feel especially
gifted and knowledgeable about, say, the One True Best set of guidelines
for rpm builders trying to make rpm's that work well in an yum
repository...as Seth requested be included.  I'm using the linuxdoc dtd
and if anybody wants to play I'll put up the actual sgml howto source
snapshot on the abstract page as well.  My makefile directly updates
this (so I can "debug" in a browser connected to this website) so it
really will change, um, "often".

  rgb