[Yum] RPM directory of hard links

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 31 14:00:22 UTC 2003

Sorry for the slow reply.  I've been otherwise engaged for the last
couple days.  If you send such questions to the list you'll get more
eyes and are more likely to get a prompt response.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 06:58:43PM +0530, Murali Potla wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 18:04, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > You asked this before and I have the same response that I did then.
> >
> > 1) these _are_ duplicated packages.  You refer to them as "original"
> >    and "link" but there is physically no such distinction.  Neither is
> >    more orignal than the other except for the order that the inodes
> >    were created, which is irrelevant.
> >
> > 2) why do you want hard links.  Do they offer some advantage that
> >    symbolic links do not in this case?  Unless you can offer some
>
> Good question.
> Why i am using hard links is i use rsync for synchronizing my
> updates/freshrpms repository. I do this synchronization on original
> directory/files. Then after syncing with the updates i need to make
> headers for these new packages. For this first i will remove all the
> packages in the RPMS (links) directory and create links again.

I really don't understand what you've written here.  Sorry.

> But even if i do yum-arch on soft link files its giving me the same
> message as duplicated pkgs.
> If there is some better alternative for this, i can follow that

What version of yum are you using?  A 1.0-series version, right?  I
don't know if this is even relevant in the 2.0 series.  It looks like
it's hard-coded into 1.0, which means you can't really turn it off.
you can do "yum-arch <options> | grep -v 'duped'" if you want.

I know it's a hack, but I still don't understand what you're doing.

> > 3) it would be possible to make yum ignore multiple inodes pointing to
> >    the same data (which is what hard links are) but it would not be
> >    trivial.  Before making modifications to the code, I would want to
> >    be convinced that there's a good reason for it.
> >

> > 4) As I said in my previous email, why do you care?  yum-arch is
> >    doing the right thing.  You have duplicated packages and it's only
> >    including unique ones.  That's what you want, right?
>
> Its working and doing the thing but its annoying to see all those
> messages again and again.

Fair enough.

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305