[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Thu Jul 31 13:42:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 10:52:36PM +0100, Angel Gabriel wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 17:48, Michael Stenner wrote:
>

> > The answer to this question and many others is.... rsync :)
> >

> How would I use RSYNC to mirror a RH7.3 directory? Is it better to rsync
> the directoy, or just the ISO's?

I probably spoke a little too soon on that question.  Rsync is almost
always the best option if you CAN use rsync.  This includes when
you're mirroring someplace that runs an rsync server or when you have
login access on both machines.

Now, in response to your question...

You can rsync whichever is most useful to you.  It is comparably
efficient in both cases.  You should really just think of rsync as a
fancy rcp (or scp) copy program that incorporates clever algorithms
for updating similar files.  rsync is not really useful when you copy
something for the first time.  wget will be just as good there.  rsync
really pays off when you want to mirror a large file (or set of files)
that changes only small amounts.  It will only transfer the stuff tha
changes.

If the original machine has an rsync server running, you should be
able to connect to that.  If you're doing it via login access, you can
do something like this:

rsync -avz -e /usr/bin/ssh host.foo.com:/etc ./foo-etc

Specific syntax questions are addressed in the manpage.

> All I want is an up2date set of the RH7.3 rpms in an accesible place so
> that I can roll out installations via the network, as an when needed.

That should be no problem.

					-Michael

--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305