[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jul 30 04:50:19 UTC 2003

> Idea: Should yum also use a /etc/yum.d/*.conf directory like structure
> in addition to its current yum.conf file? Benefits:
>  - RH seems to be doing this to a lot in their config files
>  - applications/packagers may simply provide rpms representing their
> repositories. eg: yum-yum, yum-freshrpms, yum-someapplication
>  - this way, you could have repositories of repositories/mirror sites

as michael mentioned - I like the idea of doing this - now - the trick
is getting all the $vars to work in each of them and to get include= to
work as has been requested - so if someone wants to spend some time JUST
on the config file you could write up a class that could handle all
these goodies w/o any trouble at all I bet :)

> Lesser idea: should gpgcheck=1 not be the default for base/updates, with
> a nice error message if they're missing the key? Seems a little more
> secure.

gpgcheck=1 is a rats nest.

if you make it the default then the barrier to use is high.

if you don't make it the default then you're horribly insecure.

so either you alienate newer/less knowledgeable users or you alienate
older/more knowledgeable users.

choose one.
:)