[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

Grigory Bakunov black at asplinux.ru
Mon Jul 28 19:50:53 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 10:08:48AM -0500, Aleksander Demko wrote:

> Idea: Should yum also use a /etc/yum.d/*.conf directory like structure
> in addition to its current yum.conf file? Benefits:
>  - RH seems to be doing this to a lot in their config files
>  - applications/packagers may simply provide rpms representing their
> repositories. eg: yum-yum, yum-freshrpms, yum-someapplication
>  - this way, you could have repositories of repositories/mirror sites
>
> Lesser idea: should gpgcheck=1 not be the default for base/updates, with
> a nice error message if they're missing the key? Seems a little more
> secure.

All of this stuff already realized in our own 'branch' of yum, used
with russian Linux distro (ASPLinux). You can see homepage at
http://stuphead.asplinux.ru/yum/ (yes, it's in russian).
Current state of  this code you can see here:
http://stuphead.asplinux.ru/yum/SRPMS/yum-1.1.1-1.9asp.src.rpm
this version work fine with both 404/410/420 version of rpm, have
/etc/yum.d/ directory, tool for maintain files in /etc/yum.d/ ( for
example you can do 'yum-conf add "url of config file" as repository-name'
and use it.

This project bourn and developed cause we need to use _one_ version of yum
for all our distro version (i mean version of rpmlib of cause). Also lots
of code refactoring, support for http reget files, yum-mirror tool for mirroring
repositories and lots of other  stuff.

Please don't think what yum in asplinux is a 'fork'. I just don't have enough time to
make a good patch from asplinux yum to real version of yum made by seth (need to say
thanks for great work, seth!).

In any case - license on all this stuff - GPL and you can use both 'version' of yum,
cause it absolutely compatible.