[Yum] yum's awesome, ideas

Aleksander Demko Aleksander.Demko at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Mon Jul 28 15:08:48 UTC 2003

Yum's awesome, just giving you guys a quick heads up :) I knew there had
to be something better than the restricted/not extensible nature of
up2date/rhn and the shear layer of cruft that is apt for rpm. I've found
the distribution solution to the software we'll soon be releasing.

Question: is there an easy way to mirror an HTTP yum repository? I can't
seem to figure out the proper wget options. Or could this be a yum-arch
task?

Idea: Should yum also use a /etc/yum.d/*.conf directory like structure
in addition to its current yum.conf file? Benefits:
 - RH seems to be doing this to a lot in their config files
 - applications/packagers may simply provide rpms representing their
repositories. eg: yum-yum, yum-freshrpms, yum-someapplication
 - this way, you could have repositories of repositories/mirror sites

Lesser idea: should gpgcheck=1 not be the default for base/updates, with
a nice error message if they're missing the key? Seems a little more
secure.

--
// Aleksander.Demko at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca ademko at nrc.ca scopira.org //