[Yum] Hard Links problem

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jul 23 05:48:52 UTC 2003

> I have some problems though with yum. When i run it for the first time
> it takes a long time.

do you mean yum or yum-arch?

> When i am using hard links for the packages (because i need to sync the
> updates), its giving "ignoring dupe pkg" error.

it goes through all the packages in all of your subdirs and checks to
see which ones of they are the newest ones to make available in your
repository. How many packages are you talking about and how long is a
'long time'?

> And also how do i compress the headers (-z does not compress it)

they are compressed by default.

> I am using yum 1.98 (downloaded from ayo.freshrpms.net) and Red Hat
> Linux 8.0

Are you using rpm 4.1.1 on RHL 8.0? If not, then you don't want to be
using yum 1.98 - if you do have rpm 4.1.1 then you really want to grab
yum 2.0 - it's got a bunch of bugs fixed since 1.98.