[Yum] state of the yum

Grigory Bakunov black at asplinux.ru
Mon Jul 14 08:41:00 UTC 2003

seth vidal пишет:

>>Hello Seth and others.
>>I and some of my coworkers work on our own implementation of
>>rpm updaters/installer tools in python. I very happy with yum,
>>but we need to rewrite it cause license violation (out customer
>>don't want to use GPL stuff in this project).
>>

>Really? What license do they want?

They use his own private commercial license for most parts of this project.

>> Because of it i have
>>idea to make document with name 'RPM repository format' witch describe
>>all this folders like 'headers' and files like header.info. So it's may
>>be sort of standart for 'yum and yum-compatible rpm tools'.
>>

>There is more to talk about here:
>my first thoughts are to do something like xml including some other
>choice and often-accessed data as well as what is in the header.info
>file now.

I realy like xml formating but its work not so fast as basic
colon-separated format of header.info.
But it's your choice - i just want to make sort of standart for this. :)

>>Now i need to ask - did you have any plans to change format of this
>>folders/files? I have some problems with current state of this file -
>>for example i think it's a good idea to add field 'size of file' to
>>header.info (or to separate meta.info file for example).
>>

>Why do you want size?

Because not all of http servers give a Content-Length for example.
And not all of ftp daemons support SIZE command. If you want to show user
"Now updater download %s packages with size %s" you need to know size of
each files.

>Could you tell me what you're trying to achieve and then maybe it would
>be easier to see what has the most merit.

I need lots of information about downloaded file (size, md5 summs,
timestamp and so on).
I think what yum users also want to see size of downloaded files and
check md5summ for header.info for example.
So i think to standartize format of file what describe all this stuff.