[Yum] Feature Request: ignore nonupgradable packages on update option

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Jul 9 15:03:34 UTC 2003

> If yum could simply say to itself "Hey, I cannot update this package
> because of a dependency loop -- I'll simply not update that package,
> and update everything else that I can", it'd be great.  Currently,
> it's possible to manually work around this by adding and removing
> packages to the exclude list, but this isn't a very good long-term
> solution.  I'm not sure how difficult this would be, since I haven't
> looked at the dependency calculation code -- it might be very
> trivial...
>
> I thought that -t might do this, but alas, it does not.

my biggest reason for having dependency resolution errors that cannot be
resolved w/o removing packages from the list be fatal errors is so that
unexpected behavior does not proceed along w/o properly warning the
user.

if you're using yum -y you might be quite surprised if it encounters a
dependency error but proceeds happily just ignoring that package.

and for the novice user it could be downright dangerous.

I'm not generally opposed to finding other ways out of unresolvable
dependency problems - I just want to make sure they are SAFE ways out.

I've never liked the erasure dependency cascades you can get into in apt
and I'd like to avoid that in yum. It seems so horribly intimidating to
a new user - or hell, to any user. :)

I'm open to suggestions but I want to know that the behavior is safe and
does not surprise.