[Yum] yum does not find an installed perl module

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Wed Jul 2 10:35:58 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-02 at 13:06, Peter Peltonen wrote:
> I fetched the spamassassin rpm for rh62 from Dag's apt repo and put it
> into my yum repo.
>
> I now try to install it but it fails:

Did you rebuild it?

> Resolving dependencies
> package perl-Mail-SpamAssassin needs perl(Pod::Usage) (not provided)
> package perl-Mail-SpamAssassin needs perl(HTML::Parser) (not provided)
>
> But I *have* Pod::Usage. It comes in the PodParser package which I've
> just installed with cpan2rpm utility:

The "(not provided)" is the key issue.  Try:

  rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(Pod::Usage)"
  rpm -q --whatprovides "perl(HTML::Parser)"

Even if you have it, rpm's auto-dependencies are confused.

> What am I doing wrong? Except using RH62

I don't remember if this is true for RH62, but for some 7.x versions
changing /usr/lib/rpm/perl.(req|prov) (IIRC) to executable makes rpm's
auto-dependency resolution work for perl modules.  After doing that, try
rebuilding the affected module packages.

If that doesn't work or if you don't care about the automagic
dependencies, make sure that both perl.(req|prov) are *not* executable
and rebuild the packages (or better: use "AutoReqProv: no" in the
relevant specfiles), that should work.

>  and such old yum as
> yum-1.0-1_73 (would upgrading yum help?).

No, I don't think this is a yum issue.

HTH,
--
\/