[Yum] First impressions and a couple of suggestions

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sat Jan 18 00:27:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

I just tried out yum for the first, nice work!

However, I already found a couple of things that could IMO be
improved/fixed:

1) I built yum 0.9.4 from the RH8 source RPM, there doesn't seem to be
   a binary RH8 RPM available.  Is this on purpose?

2) The RH8 source RPM has RH 7.3 defaults in /etc/yum.conf !

3) IMHO it would probably be better not to enable yum on any runlevels,
   but just install it with chkconfig.  "chkconfig: - 50 01" should do
   the trick in /etc/init.d/yum.  Especially considering item 2)
   above...

4) HTTP Keep-Alive would be very welcome.  That'd speed up downloading
   the .hdr files a lot, especially on first run.  Too bad I'm not
   that familiar with Python, otherwise I'd try to implement that
   myself.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
--