[Yum] clean all traceback

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Jan 15 21:00:26 UTC 2003

Howdy Ho,
Here at fermilab we have this odd little problem that only happens twice then
goes away.  It happens in our nightly cron job, as it cleans itself up.

So, here is the senario.
A user does a fresh install, or for some other reason, put's yum on for the
first time, and get's their headers seeded.  To do that we basically have all
the headers from the repository, and the header.info file, in a tar ball, we
then put them in the appropriate spot.  But this means that they now have all
the headers, so running a yum clean is going to remove a bunch of them.
So along comes the nightly yum, and we have it clean itself up as it goes
along.  But as it is cleaning up, we get the traceback below.
We've actually been having this happen for a long time, but, it only happens
on the first, and occasionally the second, time that this cleanup happens.  So
the user get's the e-mail one night, and they are worried, so they check to
see if yum is still working, which it is, then they forget about it.

--snip---from running it with a -d4 instead of -d2---snip--

Deleting Header /var/cache/yum/731updates/headers/kernel-0-2.4.18-10.i386.hdr
Deleting Header /var/cache/yum/731updates/headers/kernel-0-2.4.18-10.i586.hdr
Deleting Header /var/cache/yum/731updates/headers/kernel-0-2.4.18-10.i686.hdr
Deleting Header /var/cache/yum/731updates/headers/kernel-0-2.4.18-10.i686.hdr
Traceback (innermost last):
   File "/usr/sbin/yum", line 24, in ?
     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "yummain.py", line 181, in main
   File "clientStuff.py", line 687, in take_action
   File "clientStuff.py", line 530, in clean_up_old_headers
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory:
'/var/cache/yum/731updates/headers/kernel-0-2.4.18-10.i686.hdr'

--end-snip---end-snip---end-snip--

I wasn't too worried about it until the farm people said they were going to be
upgrading 500 nodes next month to be using yum.  Also the users are starting
to go to our release that uses it, and the observant users are noticing and
asking about it more and more.

I do have the full output of doing the command with a -d 4 and a -d 10, as
well as the config file and full command that causes the traceback.  I figured
I'd spare the list and only send it to those that want it.

Any ideas on this?

Troy