[Yum] Error updating RH8

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jan 15 17:12:44 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, Jim Wildman wrote:

> Yum built from source rpm.  It also barfs on other update requests.

>   File "clientStuff.py", line 173, in readHeader
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/gzip.py", line 152, in read
>     self._read(readsize)
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/gzip.py", line 206, in _read
>     self._read_eof()
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/gzip.py", line 241, in _read_eof
>     raise ValueError, "CRC check failed"
> ValueError: CRC check failed

You don't mention yum version, but in the latest,
clientStuff.py at line 173 looks to be uncompressing the
header payload of something local, and has an uncaught
exception, which triggered the traceback -- [dumping a stack
trace is a 'pythonism' default, when there is an uncaught
exception, similar to leaging a 'core' file]

Go to your download spool (usually: /var/cache/yum  ) and have
rpm -Vp    each .rpm package for correctness -- as to headers
verification, I do not know of a test (you may bave to
delete and erfresh there);  rm any which do not verify
cleanly, and download using yum again.

-- Russ Herrold