[Yum] Help with running first time

Geoff Kozens gkozens at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 7 08:52:43 UTC 2003

I ran the -d 5 flag and you were correct.  There was a dependency loop.
I guess this brings up a couple of questions.

1) how do I determine which item is creating the dependency loop?
2) how can I eliminate the loop so that Yum can run an initial update?

I did run #yum update <pkgname> for a number of packages but this did become
tedious.
(although way better than where I started!!)
I ran yum update <pkgname> ...<pkgname> and this ran fine also.

I have tried to run the following (please excuse my ignorance here as I am
new to Linux)
I tried to add the shared object to my path (PATH) and my library path
(LD_LIBRARY_PATH) and still it yielded the same
result. What am I doing wrong?
OS = Red Hat 7.2

#[root at rhl_1 root]# yum update rpm
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: ASPLinux 7.2 Master Site
Getting headers from: ASPLinux 7.2 Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Resolving dependencies
package gnorpm needs librpm-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package kdeadmin needs librpm-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-python needs librpm-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-build needs librpm-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package kdeadmin needs librpmbuild-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-build needs librpmbuild-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package gnorpm needs librpmdb-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package kdeadmin needs librpmdb-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-python needs librpmdb-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-build needs librpmdb-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package gnorpm needs librpmio-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package kdeadmin needs librpmio-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-python needs librpmio-4.0.3.so (not provided)
package rpm-build needs librpmio-4.0.3.so (not provided)

Thanks again for your help,

Geoff