[Yum] Installing the SRPM

Joe Cooper joe at swelltech.com
Tue Jan 7 07:39:34 UTC 2003

As a point of discussion, or proof of concept, or some such...I'll
mention that fink* has a very cool mechanism (perhaps intrinsic in
apt-get when using debs, I don't know) wherein one can grab source
packages from the CVS tree and have them built and installed using a
single command line.  I don't know if it can do a source package
installation in the form of dropping the spec file and tarball into the
normal package build environment tree, or not.

*-Fink is a packaging project whose purpose is to package good Open
Source software for use on Mac OS X.  They use debs and apt-get and a
wrapper written in Perl (I think) to handle the Mac OS X integration
side of things.  I don't know much more, but it sure is nice to have
something like yum on the iMac I maintain for build/test purposes.

--
Joe Cooper <joe at swelltech.com>
Web caching appliances and support.