[Yum] determining if a package needs to be updated

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 25 22:35:42 UTC 2003

Hi,
 Here is what I did for determining if a package should be updated. I'd
like for comments on this mechanism.

if there is pkg is installed that we have a header for then look through
all our installed pkgs and return the highest version of any arch.

If there is more than one arch of the highest version return the
bestarch.

Return the same information for the available headers/pkgs

Compare the version information for the highest version and bestarch in
the rpmdb and the highest version and bestarch in the available headers.

 if the available header is newer then mark it to be updated.

Catches:

this means that if you've installed kernel.i386 on an i686 machine. When
new kernels become available if there is a kernel.i686 available then it
will be installed.

I think this makes sense and is the "correct" way to handle it - but I'd
like to hear what others say.