[Yum] Yum list error

Keith Winston kwinston at twmi.rr.com
Thu Feb 13 21:27:41 UTC 2003

I discovered the yum project this morning and spent some time today
trying to get it to work on a test Red Hat 8.0 machine.

I compiled the latest daily build, created an rpm from it using
checkinstall and installed it.  I already had a current archive of rpms
from updates.redhat.com on the same machine (built using wget),so I
served it up from apache and used "yum-arch" to build the /headers
directory and headers.info file.

Here is my /etc/yum.conf:

[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[updates8]
name=my distribution
baseurl=http://127.0.0.1/updates8

The problem occurs when I try to run "yum list" to list all the packages
available.  Here is the output:

14:47:14 $ yum list
Gathering package information from servers
Getting headers from: Red Hat Linux 8.0 updates
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 45, in ?
     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
   File "yummain.py", line 148, in main
   File "clientStuff.py", line 602, in get_package_info_from_servers
   File "clientStuff.py", line 308, in urlgrab
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/urllib2.py", line 138, in urlopen

 From a google search, I thought maybe this was a LANG issue, but I
changed my /etc/sysconfig/i18n file when I first installed this machine
as follows:
LANG="en_US.ISO8859-1"
SUPPORTED="C:en_US.ISO8859-1:en_US:en"
#SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"
SYSFONT="lat0-sun16"

Does anyone know where I went wrong?  yum.conf?

Best Regards,
Keith
--
LPIC-2, MCSE, N+