[Yum] Re: Yum support?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 4 22:20:11 UTC 2003

> I'm sorry, it didn't come out exactly how I meant.  I admit I was
> exaggerating, but there is a significant performance impact w/o
> keep-alive.
>
> Because pages under <http://www.dulug.duke.edu/yum/> and
> here, I expected "yum update" to be a breeze also.
>
> I ran some tests right now, did a full "yum update" with only
> <http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/i386/> in my
> /etc/yum.conf and a clean /var/cache/yum.  The result was that it took
> 29 minutes, 36 seconds.  I watched the network activity during the
> update on GKrellM's net monitor, and a very inaccurate eye benchmark
> left me with a feeling that most of the time there was no traffic at
> all, just some bursts whenever a single .hdr was sucked.

hehe - mirror.dulug is a horribly abused and overloaded red hat mirror.
We had to throttle ftp and http fairly nastily to keep the tier2 mirrors
functioning.

believe me, if I had my way it would be wide open.

> To compare, I grabbed
> <http://mirror.dulug.duke.edu/pub/yum-repository/redhat/8.0/i386/RedHat/RPMS/nautilus-2.0.6-6.i386.rpm>
> with wget (it's about the same size as all the .hdr files together from
> my previous test, 8.2M).  It took 10 minutes, 14 seconds (~13 K/s)
> whereas the "yum update" throughput would be about 4.5 K/s.
>
> So, to be fair, maybe it's not "dog slow", but not having keep-alive
> seems to result in roughly about three-fold performance difference with
> my connection to mirror.dulug.duke.edu.  It's likely that even with
> keep-alive, the *.hdr files download wouldn't be as fast as just
> downloading a single file of the same size, but it should be close.  I
> also guess that when the connection to the server is better than in this
> test, the significance of keep-alive is neglible (20 sec sounds good
> enough to me :).

Well a friend of mine is working on this now. He claims to have written
a keep-alive addition to urllib2 that gets a factor of 2 improvement in
time over 1000 hdr files.

well worth including, imo. Thanks for the idea. If his code works (and
his code usually does :), it'll get in soon.

> Ah, good!  Sorry again, I thought I asked about the quiet option in a
> I'll try to behave :)  Will also try without 'rm -rf'ing and let you
> know if it doesn't work it should.

Nothing to worry about being good. I just didn't realize it was a
problem. I put the -q to yum-arch on my list.