[Yum] RHL 2.1AS and yum?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Feb 4 16:05:58 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 10:08, Tom Diehl wrote:
> Hi all,
> I was wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade from 7.2 to 2.1AS using yum??
> I have built most of it from the .src rpms but for some reason I cannot get
> the right combination of anaconda, libs and kernels to allow me to get 2.1AS
> installed on the machine. I am thinking about bypassing the anaconda problems
> by using yum to do the upgrade. I got 99% of the rpms to build using a
> partially updated 7.2 box as a compile box.

provided that the rpms are newer (ie, higher e-v-r) then it should work.

I did a fair number of rhl 7.1->7.3 and rhl 7.2->7.3 upgrades with yum -
and barring some dumb pkging bugs they worked pretty ok.

Specifically look out for the kernel <2.4.7 and mkinitrd

in short - remove the older kernels.

I upgraded a primary file server from 7.2 to 7.3 in place, other than
the reboot it works just fine.