[Yum] proposed updates to yum docs/man page?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 29 10:15:11 UTC 2003

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> To be honest the 'installed, updates, and available' were more to deal
> with the lack of horizontal space on most lists. I'd love to just have
> an alphabetized list of everything and let the user grep out what they
> want.

i'm not sure having the "available" (new) packages list is as important
as having the list of possible updates.

i think it's obvious that having a list of updated packages is useful
information.  but it's not clear that there's much value to a list of
*all* available packages -- i mean, there could be *zillions* of those,
and what are you going to do with all that info?

personally, i really only see the value in asking for new packages if
you're using a wildcard pattern or something to that effect to at least
keep the output to a manageable size.

rday