[Yum] what is "yum list installed" doing with the headers?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Dec 28 15:10:07 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 08:34, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   according to the docs,
>
>   $ yum list installed
>
> will list the packages installed on my system.  but running that will,
> every time, take several seconds to scan my list of servers, find updated
> packages and download headers.  why?  based on the docs, this should be
> (it seems) equivalent to nothing more than "rpm -qa".  (in fact, the list
> of installed packages lists them as coming from the repo "db", which i
> assume means database).
>
> if that's the case, why would asking for a list of installed packages
> require any consultation of the yum repositories?

The extended command line options (like installed, available, etc) are
not parsed until after the initial state is setup. Reading the header
lists is part of the initial state setup.

It might be reasonable to parse out the quick-cases and/or change where
the extended options are handled, but it's not going to be terribly
immediate on my list.