[Yum] what is "yum list installed" doing with the headers?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 28 13:34:26 UTC 2003

  according to the docs,

  $ yum list installed

will list the packages installed on my system.  but running that will,
every time, take several seconds to scan my list of servers, find updated
packages and download headers.  why?  based on the docs, this should be
(it seems) equivalent to nothing more than "rpm -qa".  (in fact, the list
of installed packages lists them as coming from the repo "db", which i
assume means database).

if that's the case, why would asking for a list of installed packages
require any consultation of the yum repositories?

rday