[Yum] Patches to backport yum2

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Tue Dec 23 18:35:56 UTC 2003

> I have patched yum 2.0.x to work with older RedHat versions, specifically
> with rpm 4.0.4 and python 1.5.2. I've been working with the patched version
> for a couple of weeks, and no problems have arised, except that groups
> capabilities do not work (yet).

The groups are going to be very tricky b/c last I checked libxml2 and
python < 2.X don't get along.

> Besides some modifications due to python backport, which loses unicode support
> and some += shortcuts (at yum2-python1_backport.patch), most of the work on
> yum has been devoted to Rpm_Ts_Work class, which is modified to behave close to
> the TransactionSet class of rpm 4.2 which is the core of Rpm_Ts_Work itself.

The modifications to comps.py are slightly unhappy for the following
reasons:

1. comps.py until this point was identical to comps.py from rhpl.
2. removing unicode support makes the alternate language possibilities
in the yumgroups.xml/comps.xml file limiting

As a possible workaround:
 if you're running yum with python 1.5.X then a test is done and a the
groups options are removed, so they're never loaded.

> I have tested the patches against the new daily release (yum-20031222.tar.gz),
> making a minor change, and I send them attached (I've been using 2.0.4
> release).
> The order in which they are applied is
> yum2-python1_backport.patch
> yum2-repo_backport.patch
> yum2-client_backport.patch
> although the first one is quite independent.
>
> At least on my case, it servers as perfect replacement of yum v1, and it might
> help to 'close' the old branch, which is probably not widely used. Any reports
> or opinions are wellcome.

I agree it would be nice to close yum v1 by combining the trees. I'm not
too happy  about the comps.py modifications but there may be middle
ground there.

A couple of problems: have you tested that after these have been applied
the tree still works on a fedora core 1 or rhl9 machine? It's not
obvious to me, so far, that they will. Also what about systems with
rpm404 instead of just rpm (like rhl 8.0)

Thanks