[Yum] Retrieving packages from Red Hat Network

Ian Masterson ian at ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Thu Dec 18 18:14:55 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, seth vidal wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is a way to request the packages available via the
> xmlrpc interface to rhn. You should ask your sales rep about this. I
> know it's not something they object to.

A brief update for those interested:

'up2date --channel rhel-i386-ws-3 --showall' will get you a list of all
available RPMs in the channel. This can be compared with a list of
packages already in your yum repositories to determine which need to be
downloaded. Each one can then be requested from RHN with 'up2date
--download'.  But as far as I can tell, there's no way to request a
package from any arch except the one up2date is running on.

If you're only supporting one arch, this should work. For the rest of us
there is still manual work involved to make a complete repository.

There has been discussion on the taroon (rhel3) mailing list:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/taroon-list/2003-December/msg00210.html

-Ian