[Yum] yum-2.0.1 -- problem with httplib.py

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Dec 18 13:47:27 UTC 2003

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 08:22:00 -0500
Michael Stenner <mstenner at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

...[snip]...

> A quick and dirty solution that should work is to simply remove (or
> rename) keepalive.py and keepalive.pyc (and .pyo if it's there).  We
> haven't had a chance to play with python 2.3 and some things changed
> that seem to make the keepalive module not work.  They're probably
> quite minor, and I think other people have run into them.  There may
> even be a patch in bugzilla.
> 					-Michael

Hi Michael,

Your quick response is appreciated.  However it ain't so easy :-(

After moving keepalive.py* out of the way and editing Makefile to remove
the reference to it, I ran "make && make install".  So far, fine.  Then
I try the biggie "yum list updates":

[root at osage emacs]# yum list updates
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
    import yummain
ImportError: Bad magic number in /usr/share/yum/yummain.pyc

Unfortunately, though I have many years experience as a software
developer, python is new to me.  What does one do about magic numbers?

Thanks.

David