[Yum] Retrieving packages from Red Hat Network

Ian Masterson ian at ssli-mail.ee.washington.edu
Wed Dec 10 21:58:54 UTC 2003

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Joseph Tate wrote:

> You could go through a caching web proxy.
> If you have enough systems to warrant it, you can purchase the RHN to
> run locally (though I can't remember what this product is called, or how
> much it costs).

We have a local RHN proxy. It is sold along with the RHEL licenses, since
Red Hat would (understandably) prefer that they provide only the bandwidth
required to send packages to your site once rather than to every computer
individually.

Unfortunately, we'd have the same problem as running 'up2date -d'. The RHN
proxy only caches those packages which have been requested by clients. It
doesn't seem to be any easier to get all packages from an RHN proxy than
it is to do the same directly from RHN.

> Generally, however, unless bandwidth on your end is a limiting factor,
> using up2date on each server is recommended, as there's a whole lot more
> that you can do with RHN than keep your servers up to date.

I agree that RHN is nifty, but there are things we can do with yum that
aren't as easy (or perhaps possible) with RHN.

Thanks,

Ian Masterson
Dept. of Electrical Engineering (SSLI)
University of Washington, Seattle