[Yum] how do I ignore failed dependencies???

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Thu Dec 4 22:30:18 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:
>>Ok...uh, I'm assuming there's a good reason for this, right?  Don't tell
>>me it's for the same reasons you can't upgrade Red Hat 9 to EL3 ---
>>because it's for your own good.
>

> b/c I'm not going to write a program that lets the user shoot him or her
> self in the foot. That was not the point of yum and it won't be the
> point of yum. This has been a hard and fast rule for a long time and I'm
> not waivering on this one.

As someone who helps other administrators, I am so very very glad that Seth
has never wavered on this point.
There has been so many times that people have come to me and tell me that yum
messed up their computer.  It's so nice to be able to point at the dependancy
conflicts and say that I know that yum didn't do that.  After a bit of humming
and hawing they usually come clean and say they just might have forced an rpm
or two on.

Troy