[Yum] Other formats for HOWTO, documentation in general

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Dec 1 13:14:42 UTC 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Rick Thomas wrote:

> In the mean time, he suggested that you use scalable fonts (type 1).
> Since you seem to be using Tex to format the document, it may be
> worthwhile to know that, according to Hanz, the current miktex has built
> in support for the right kind of fonts.  <http://www.miktex.org/>
>
> Also in the mean time, I tried reading (and printing) the pdf with
> Adobe's free acrobat reader, and all was well (though the bitmap fonts
> looked pixelated at high magnification -- which was to be expected.)  So
> I *can* get a readable version of the document.  Thanks for that!  (<-8)
>
> You may decide that this is all too much like real work, and I won't
> blame you.  But I thought you might find it interesting.

Well, I've actually been on something of a quest to get a latex->pdf
mapping that doesn't screw up the fonts on SOMEBODY'S system, and it is
actually remarkably difficult.  If I go with type 1 fonts, for example,
I'm certain to get into difficult with older linux systems that don't
have them handy, I expect.  And I've already added A4 and USL versions,
because my European cousins have pointed out that "inches" are something
that only exist in the minds of those of us with cultural roots in an
archaic system of measurement developed by the people who brought us
shilling and pounds and pounds and ounces and slugs.

I'm also heavily stuck on our current installation of latex because it
is used throughout the department and I am one of the people who have to
help others with it.  However, I'll look into type 1 fonts and see if it
can generate them.  A major part of the problem is the close connection
between metafont and tex, where metafont is (or was, last time I went
into its guts) primarily an antialiased bitmap font generating tool.  So
latex's fonts are typically bitmap at the absolute base as long as they
are tied to the metafont generator.

   rgb