[Yum] yum dependency handeling

Ragnar Kjørstad yum at ragnark.vestdata.no
Sat Aug 23 16:55:49 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 10:18:35AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 05:01, Ragnar Kjørstad wrote:
> > Doing the upgrade with apt causes the named packages to be held back,
> > and everything else to be upgraded properly.
>
> It's doable - in the event of unresolved dependencies the affected
> packages would need to be removed from the transaction list. It's not
> that hard. But yum is going to warn the user out the wazoo about this,
> though. The idea of updates not being performed but yum still exiting
> successfully makes me cringe a bit.

And then all packages that depended on the packages that got removed
have to be removed and so on. In theory it's just a matter of a simple
graph-algorithm - and if you say it's easy to do this inside yum as well
that's very good.

And yes - I agree yum should _not_ exit successfully in such cases - it
should warn the user and exit with a non-zero exit-code. I couldn't find
a list of exit-codes in the man-page, but I would suggest a seperate
exit-code for "partial success" than other types of errors.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad