[Yum] atrpms' yum repos are cumulative (was: yum dependency handeling)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Aug 23 10:23:09 UTC 2003

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:01:03AM +0200, Ragnar Kjørstad wrote:
> This caused yum to just give up:
> Resolving dependencies
> ..package alsa-kmdl-2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at needs /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at (not provided)
> package nvidia-graphics-kmdl-2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at needs /boot/vmlinux-2.4.20-19.23.rh9.at (not provided)

It looks like you have at-testing, but not at-stable in your yum.conf.

The at-* stability series are cumulative and disjunct, i.e. if you use
at-testing, you need at-good and at-stable as well. That's why yum
cannot resolve the dependencies.

One of these days I will make lower stability classes include all
higher ones (e.g. at-testing will already include at-stable and
at-good) so that one doesn't need to define multiple repos in yum for
atrpms. The reason these exist is historic, because under apt these
were (are) sections and can be written in one line.

BTW the mentioned change is backwards compatible, so nothing needs to
be done on the client side.

I don't mind yum giving up when it discovers flaws in the repos or
their setup, otherwise one would never find bugs like this one.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de