[Yum] Is there a howto, on how to install a system fresh withyum?

Klingaman, Aaron L aaron.l.klingaman at intel.com
Thu Aug 21 17:05:13 UTC 2003

Yes, and I'm working on a second alternative method.

First, the environment yum needs to run doesn't exist on my boot cd, so
I have two options:

1. (the previous email), install enough to run yum in the actual install
partition, then yum to finish the base install.

2. in a ramdisk/tempfs mount, install the stuff to run rpm, then use the
--install-root and have the path specified be the mount point for the
real install partition mounted inside the ramdisk/tempfs mount.
Afterwards, the initial environment to run yum is destroyed, and all
subsquent yum calls are within the new install root.

I'm trying 2. right now. The advantage is that yum is responsible for
the complete install, rather than some initial custom steps.

Aaron