[Yum] yum update hanging...

Sean O'Connell sean at ee.duke.edu
Wed Aug 20 17:54:17 UTC 2003

I have seen this on a redhat linux 9 box with an older version of rpm.
This seems to affect both RHL8 and 9 machines. The fix was to:

cd /var/lib/rpm
rm __db.*

grab a newer version rpm (4.2.1 for RHL9, I don't recall the version for
8) and do an rpm -U with the appropo version. If yum works after that,
you are golden. You might need to do a reboot to clear processes locking
up the rpm db.

Hope this helps.
Sean