[Yum] Re: yum upgrade to resolve obsoletes loops?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Tue Aug 19 06:06:18 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 02:28:36AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Only if sshd would have also obsoleted openssh-server. The case we are
> > talking about is more like zebra vs gated.
> >
> > The idea is that whenever you have multiple possible solutions
> > (obsolete loops, conflicts and virtual packages provided by many
> > rpms), a way to prefer one solution would be to see, what the user has
> > installed.
>
> and in the case of a larger obsoletes loop?
>
> ie: foo obsoletes bar
>     bar obsoletes baz
>     baz obsoletes foo
>
> how do you track those down?

Sorry for the late reply, I was on the road:

yum install/update/upgrade differ in the way they pull installation
candidates into a pool. Every observed obsoletes should erase the
obsoleted rpm from the candidate pool. Nevertheless dependencies should
be resolved both by this pool and the pool of already installed
packages.

So you effectivly do a clean calculation of your solution graph and
fallback for still missing pieces in the existing graph.

About the example above: All three packages are removed from the
installation candidate pool and the operation only resolves if one of
them is already installed and provides the right capabilities. If
nothing is installed yum cannot decide without further human
intervention and should fail.
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de