[Yum] complete install of system using yum?

Klingaman, Aaron L aaron.l.klingaman at intel.com
Thu Aug 14 23:53:33 UTC 2003

Ok, so I spent some time reading through the website, and a large
portion of the list archives, but wasn't able to find much information
about this. (although there is a chance I could have missed something in
the archives, I was scanning through looking for pertinent subjects)

Here is what I was thinking:

First assume you have a new system (no previous install), and you've
already setup the disks, mounted the partitions, bootstrapped RPM, setup
networking, and manually installed only the rpms necessary to run yum
(for example, this could be done from a boot cd, in a chrooted
environment).

Now, would it be possible to basically install this system completely
from say a set of RedHat 9 RPMS, if you had a known set of packages you
wanted to install (not necessarily using comps.xml). That way, yum could
not only install the system (post bootstrap), but keep it up to date all
over the network?

I'm kind of just thinking out loud here, but would like to hear from
anyone else that has thought about this and/or actually tried it (which
I probably will do anyway, just for kicks).

Thanks,

Aaron