[Yum] plug in handlers (was: Kernel Updates)

James Olin Oden joden at malachi.lee.k12.nc.us
Tue Aug 12 01:07:45 UTC 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Eric V. Smith wrote:

> >> Some days ago we had some discussion, when I proposed that handling of
> >> "special cases", like kernel install/upgrades, should better not be
> >> done via Yum "built-in" functions, but via external scripts and/or
> >> external Python modules/functions (currently not possible).  Some
> >> predefined scripts/functions could then be included with Yum, or
> >> admins can write their own handler.  This would also cover your
> >> request.
> >
> > Furthermore, it is a planned feature that will be going into the 2.1
> > (development) branch.
>
> I'd like to propose that if this feature is added, it be implemented as
> "run all scripts in some directory", rather than "run the scripts
> specified in some config file".  This allows me to add scripts just by
> dropping files in, rather than having to modify some file that may or may
> not have other scripts specified in it.
>
> Sort of like /etc/profile.d versus modifying /etc/profile itself.

Another approach that gets you to the same end is to provide a config
tool that modifes the config file for you.  You still want to be able to
add an arbitrary number of scripts.

> I don't have any opinion on whether it be scripts or Python modules.
> Python is fine with me and we could have a richer interface, but I can see
> where people might want to have just normal scripts.  Maybe doing it in
> Python but also supplying a Python module that would execute scripts might
> be best?

You definately want to do both.  Python modules, as you said are going
to be more flexible, and more efficient (not that it really matters these
days [within reason]).  With a simple script interface, you keep a lot
of good admins from user the feature that could use it.

Cheers...james