[Yum] Kernel Updates

Jeremy Dreese jdreese at bucknell.edu
Mon Aug 11 16:36:28 UTC 2003

I don't know if this has ever been discussed before on this list but I
did a search and couldn't find anything, so...

We currently use autoupdate to update our RedHat boxes.  I like some
things I see in yum and have thought about switching.  However, I really
like how autoupdate handles kernel updates and was wondering if others
would like yum to have similar features.

Basically, our systems are configured such that autoupdate will install
any new kernel versions and make the new one the default.  The previous
kernel is then renamed with a configurable tag ("-old" by default).  In
addition, all old kernels (i.e. kernels other than the new and "-old")
are uninstalled.  This is very nice for a lab environment because it is
fairly obvious to end users which ones they should select.  In
particular, we have a dual-boot lab where Windows is the default, but
Linux is an option.  If there were multiple kernels listed with nothing
but the version numbers to identify them, some people might not know
which one to select (even though to you and I it might be obvious).

What do others think of having this sort of feature in yum?

--
Jeremy Dreese
Engineering Computing Systems Integrator
email: jdreese at bucknell.edu