[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Aug 10 04:18:00 UTC 2003

> I think the world "commercial" is not the main word here.  When writing
> software myself, I always aim at software universally usable, so also
> in big, complex environments, usally called "enterprise environments".
> After using UNIX for more than 20 years now, I want all software to be
> extremely flexible, configurable, and powerfull.  And still small and
> understandable (sometimes I remember of the good old UNIX V7 days...).

I think you misunderstood me. I was mostly trying to tell Rob that
business opportunities were not a way to lure me to taking on feature
requests. It's just not my thing.

> W.r.t. Yum, I think any RFE I have is also applicable in, for example,
> large university networks.  Or even in smaller environments with a more
> complex structure.

I think your rfe's are entirely reasonable - but there is infrastructure
that has to be shuffled for it to happen. But you'll note that the 2.1
branch just opened and that's where the new infrastructure changes will
be.