[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Aug 9 09:46:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 09:38:57PM -0400, seth vidal wrote:

> at the risk of being called before the committee on unamerican
> activities I have to say that the 'commercial possibilities' aren't
> terribly interesting to me. I didn't write yum to make money. I wrote it
> (hah) to make my life easier. I understand that there are people using
> yum commercially and I think that's great. But if yum ads too much
> complexity in the name of making it commercially viable I'll be very
> disappointed.

As one of the persons interested in "enterprise use", I want to make
a few comments here.

I think the world "commercial" is not the main word here.  When writing
software myself, I always aim at software universally usable, so also
in big, complex environments, usally called "enterprise environments".
After using UNIX for more than 20 years now, I want all software to be
extremely flexible, configurable, and powerfull.  And still small and
understandable (sometimes I remember of the good old UNIX V7 days...).

W.r.t. Yum, I think any RFE I have is also applicable in, for example,
large university networks.  Or even in smaller environments with a more
complex structure.

I think Seth's main ideas to make it not too complex are good, but I
hope that suggestions to make it more universally usable still have a
good chance.  As I said before on another list (IIRC), today I have
to stick with APT because of some missing features.  But I like Yum
more from a software point of view (much smaller, Python, etc.) than
APT and I hope to be able to provide some help (either in discussions
or in contributed code) to make it also satisfy more universal needs.

Just my EUR 0,02...

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>