[Yum] Enhancing the potential of yum to support commercial enterprise...

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Aug 9 01:39:32 UTC 2003

> Hacking this into rpm (a necessary predecessor of putting a userspace
> mode into yum) probably is crackrock indeed -- it's not like rpm isn't
> already fabulously complex and often broken already.  Still, the
> commercial possibilities of this are very tempting indeed...

at the risk of being called before the committee on unamerican
activities I have to say that the 'commercial possibilities' aren't
terribly interesting to me. I didn't write yum to make money. I wrote it
(hah) to make my life easier. I understand that there are people using
yum commercially and I think that's great. But if yum ads too much
complexity in the name of making it commercially viable I'll be very
disappointed.

I add features that I think are 'cool' or are useful or that others
convince me are good ideas. I'm not, yet, convinced that that idea is a
neat enough to justify the suffering involved in making it happen.

so I don't discount features b/c they are commercially viable, but I
don't score them up for that trait either.