[Yum] A little more on enterprise strength yum.

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Fri Aug 8 15:17:07 UTC 2003

seth vidal wrote:

>>Does anyone else have any opinions on this? Maybe I've been brainwashed?
>>

>Alternatively you use groupupdate and just plugin new things to a group
>as 'default' or 'mandatory' then when a user can:
>
>yum groupupdate 'carwyn group of fun'
>
>and get all the packages you want them to have.

Hmm, I suppose you could have a standard group that you then
automatically do a groupupdate on every night/bootup. Would new packages
in the group  be installed and packages removed from the group uninstalled?

This is is nothing to do with version numbers, I agree with you on those
being a bad thing to specify in general. Although there are cases where
you do need to be able to hold a package at a specific version (say you
want laptops to catch up with desktops but not install the very latest
version because it breaks some machines).

Don't get me wrong, I like yum :-) I ditched apt-rpm for it and use it
at home. I want to use it at work too though but can't without
addressing some of these issues.

Carwyn