[Yum] yum update (was: ATrpms yum problem)

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at fivetec.com
Wed Aug 6 12:32:49 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-06 at 11:20, Axel Thimm wrote:

> I just checked the report again, and it slipped to me that Peter used
> 'yum update' instead of 'yum upgrade'. 'yum upgrade' does look into
> obsoletes, while 'yum update' does not.
>
> So it is like comparing apt-get upgrade vs dist-upgrade, and yum's
> behaviour invoked that way is correct (only replace same package with
> newer versions, no inter-package comparisons).
>
> Personally I'd obsolete 'yum update' and 'apt-get upgrade' ;)

Now I am confused. I thought I should use `yum upgrade` only when going
from a release to another, say RH8.0 -> RH9?

So is the only difference with update and upgrade that upgrade checks
the obsoletes and update does not? I should use upgrade always instead
of update? What harm is there to check obsoletes -- why does not update
do it?

Anyway, thanks for your help, `yum upgrade` solved my problems.

Regards,
Peter